Saturday, April 16, 2011

Tackling CAT T5

This paper is sometime regarded as the most difficult paper of CAT, however to be honest, as this paper is one of the advanced level papers, the difficulty is the same as other advanced level paper, but what makes it difficult? The main reason is that it is full of theories, people tend to be strong in calculations but weaker in dealing with theories. Generally, to pass this paper you must be brave to answer the questions using your own words, do not stop and think for the best answer as there is no best answer, time is very limited so my suggestion is "JUST WRITE" :) now let's look at each syllabus area.

1. The business and accounting environment
This area is one of the easiest areas, probably the one that causes difficulty is the organisation structure topic, don't try to remember the advantages and disadvantages different structure, try to understand what each type of organisation structure means. Always avoid memorising the advantages and disadvantages.

2. Effective management of business and accounting systems
This is an interesting one, I still remember that the SPAM SOAP mnemonic really help in answering many internal control questions, so try to remember that. Pre-requisites of fraud, ie. dishonesty, motivation and opportunity would not bring any difficulty. Finally you should have some idea about management information system (MIS).

3. Management theory, principles and techniques
This is the key area that caused many failing this paper, there are so many theories written by the theorists and you have to remember them. What you can do is try to create some mnemonics or pictures for each theory that help you to remember, do not think that you can leave the 14 marks and do other questions, the 14 marks are very important to help you pass and if you did remember the theories, normally the 14 marks are free marks to you.

4. Individual effectiveness at work
This is another interesting one, you are now learning to manage self and also people instead of managing system. When you are asked about self management question, don't tell me that you need to study the book in order to be able to manage self, you can answer even without the knowledge from book. Managing people questions such as appraisal and training are not difficult but you need to have some knowledge from the book and get the idea. Communication is always the important one (although it came out in December 2010).

5. Health, safety and security in the working environment
For me I would say security is the easier than health and safety but it depends. Although there are only 2 chapters in the book about this syllabus area, it will form a 20 marks question so you can see how important they are. Many of these areas are common sense, only some key words to learn, eg. delay, checking and alarm as the principles of security.

In conclusion, to pass T5 you have to:
1. Cover the whole syllabus.
2. Practice past year papers and at least read the answer (that's what I did).
3. Learn to write fast and do not stop in exam.
4. Understand what you learnt and be able to write in own words.
All the best, June 2011 is your final chance to take T5 as paper-based exam :)

No comments:

Post a Comment